Give me context…Israel is occupying the West Bank, a territory the Palestinians (and the rest of the world) say is theirs. There are already about 600,000 Jews living there. Now, the Trump administration has announced it doesn’t believe Israeli settlements in the West Bank are illegal.
In 1947, the United Nations decided to divide Palestine into two separate states. The Palestinians didn’t like this and since then, there has been an ongoing conflict there.
Why would Jews occupy Palestine in the first place?
- In 1917, Great Britain said it wanted to establish “a national home for the Jewish people” in Palestine. In exchange? Jews helping them in World War I.
- For the Jews, Palestine is the Promised Land: according to their Bible, the land waspromised to them by God.
- After World War II, many Jews had to leave Europe. Yes, because of Hitler.
Why is Trump supporting the settlements in Palestinian territory?
- They are military allies.
- Ideology: Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East.
- The U.S secures a friend in a region in which it has interests (i.e. oil).
The fact that Trump thinks this is not illegal is a setback for Palestinians who are struggling to get their independent free state.
Leave a comment