The coronavirus has reached more than 30 other countries and territories, and is spreading in Europe and the Middle East.
Te origin of the coronavirus.
It appears to have originated in early December in a fish and animal market in Wuhan, a city of 11 million people.
The virus causes rare but potentially lethal respiratory infections and can be passed from human to human.
- 79,000 people are infected and 2,600 dead.
- South Korea has the most cases of the virus outside China, with more than 800.
- Italy has the largest number of cases outside Asia (3 deaths so far).
- In Iran, at least 43 people are infected and at least 12 others have died. Both Turkey and Pakistan have closed their borders with Iran to contain the threat.
- As fears of the outbreak have spread, some countries have documented instances of racism against Chinese nationals.
- Shortness of breath