Give me some context… Huawei is a Chinese telecom Company and the second biggest Smartphone maker after Microsoft. It has been investigated by the US since 2011 for 3 reasons:
- The US and its allies think Huawei is very close to the Chinese government and that stole information from US officials by hacking its devices
- The US sees Huawei as a competition threat. Huawei is the global leader in 5G (the successor of 4G technology). If Huawei wins the “technological race” , the US could be forced to buy equipment from them
- Huawei violated US sanctions against Iran. It tried to sell US equipment to Iran and hide the payments
Trump hates Iran. He thinks Iran is building nuclear weapons. That’s why all US assistance to Iran was prohibited and sanctions in Iran’s economy were imposed.
So what happened?
- Trump banned government use of Huawei and announced trade restrictions with the Chinese company.
- Huawei CFO, Meng Wanzhou, was arrested in her home in Canada for breaking US sanctions in Iran. The US wants her extradition and China wants her release. Now.
- After Trump announced trade restrictions with Huawei (designed to make it harder for the tech giant to do business with US companies), Google has suspended business with Huawei. It could lose access to Google’s operating system and things like Google Play Store and Gmail.